The Senate hearing Monday was supposed to focus on Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, but many Republican senators didn’t feel like talking about that.
Instead, they often focussed on why information about potential Russian interference kept leaking to news outlets.
Louisiana Republican Sen. John Kennedy wanted to know, for example, whether former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper — who testified alongside former Acting Attorney General Sally Yates — had ever leaked information to the press.
Clapper said he hasn’t knowingly done so, then Kennedy tried to clarify.
“Classified or unclassified?” Kennedy asked.
“Well uh, unclassified is not — is not leaking,” Clapper said.
The room, as you can hear in the video, burst into laughter, as did the twittersphere.
Brace yourselves now, people: we could be in for quite an iPhone-based shock later this year — and it might not be the sticker price.
By now, you’ve probably heard that Apple’s upcoming deluxe iPhone 8 might be delayed beyond the product line’s now-typical September launch. The holdup could stem from issues with the development of the rumored screen-embedded fingerprint sensor, or from production issues with some of the new components. Hell, Apple might not even have settled on a final design for the flagship, which would definitely push back its production schedule.
All of these reports, however, have largely assured Apple fans that the iPhone 8 will still be available this year, shortly after the release of two less substantial updates to the current 7 model’s September release.
We might be in for even more disappointment come September, however, according to a recent Deutsche Bank research note provided to Business Insider. The firm’s analysts report the iPhone 8 won’t be ready for release before the end of the calendar year, and we’ll all be stuck waiting for our OLED-screened flagship until 2018.
The Deutsche Bank note was based on an earlier report from ValueWalk, which cited sources close to Apple’s main production partner, Foxconn, who claimed Apple has only placed orders packaging materials for two iPhone models. Those phones are supposedly the iPhone 7S and 7S Plus.
We’ve heard the two-phone parts of this rumor before, and ValueWalk isn’t exactly known for its Apple scoops, so this shouldn’t be immediately accepted as an inevitable truth. But with so many reports of delays filling the rumor mill, we shouldn’t dismiss it either.
Who knows, though — maybe a delay could even be a good thing, allowing everything to come together for the best possible iPhone experience. Just look at Apple’s AirPods: the wireless earbuds were infamously delayed after being announced, but have gone on to massive success in both sales and consumer satisfaction rating.
AirPods are just a compliment to the the iPhone, which is the real centerpiece of Apple’s product line. The company has even more at stake to launch a premium device this year with the iPhone’s tenth anniversary. If the device is delayed into 2018, it’ll likely mean one thing: Apple decided to make the best iPhone possible. We can only hope they succeed.
May 2, 2017 / Comments Off on Don’t hold your breath for a new iPhone 8 this year
The more we learn about Fitbit’s upcoming foray into the general smartwatch market, the more it looks like the activity tracking company’s fans could be in for a major letdown once the device finally drops later this year.
A Yahoo Finance report published last month claimed to have some insider dirt on the project’s tumultuous progress. The report cited sources that said the watch was delayed after engineers struggled with some of the features and called it, among other things, “definitely not sexy” and derivative of Fitbit’s previous fitness-first smartwatch, the Blaze.
Those design complaints appear to be confirmed after product photos purportedly depicting the design were leaked toYahoo Finance, which published the pics as a first-look at the new Fitbit smartwatch.
The photos of the watch, which is reportedly dubbed “Project Higgs” internally, don’t show much evolution from the Blaze. The square face is an update from the previous octagonal shape, but the same activity tracking vibe remains — there’s a clear influence from the Surge and Charge 2‘s fitness-focused aesthetics here, even as Fitbit has reportedly focused on making Higgs more attractive to consumers outside the gym.
The previous report claimed Project Higgs will be made of aluminum with a built-in GPS chip, heart-rate monitoring, the capacity for touchless payments, Pandora music compatibility, and up to four days of battery life. The watch will also offer wearers interchangeable band options, like some of Fitbit’s other offerings, and should hit the market at around $300.
An image of Fitbit’s wireless headphones, codenamed “Parkside,” was also included in the leak. The noice-cancelling Bluetooth buds will reportedly hang around users’ necks like the Beats X, with plans to launch for $150 alongside the smartwatch.
The report’s sources claim Fitbit is depending on Project Higgs to carry the company’s hardware performance for the remainder of 2017 — aside from the already released Alta HR, the smartwatch and earbuds are reportedly the only products on the docket for the year.
Unfortunately for Fitbit, the watch might also launch without one of its most intriguing rumored features: its own app store, a potential that was first suggested by the company’s CEO James Park at CES in January.
“Unfortunately, James let the cat out of the bag way too early with the app store news,” a source told Yahoo Finance. Instead, Higgs will reportedly hit the market with a “small selection of customized apps.”
When reached for comment via email about the veracity of the photos and the sources’ claims, Fitbit reps provided the same statement the company shared after the first report:
“We know there is a lot of interest in our entry into the smartwatch category,” they wrote. “We don’t have news to share at this time and do not comment on rumors or speculation.”
May 1, 2017 / Comments Off on Fitbit’s new smartwatch possibly revealed in leak, and it looks pretty lame
Samsung only just showed off its sleek new Galaxy S8 last week —and the phone won’t even get to the public until it starts shipping on April 21—but that hasn’t stopped Samsung’s fanatics from focusing on the company’s next move.
That’s in no small part due to exactly what it is we’re expecting from Samsung: the followup to the most infamous smartphone of all time: the explosive Galaxy Note 7 (which was persona phone grata during the S8 announcement).
Now, we might actually be getting an early look at its successor. A new image was posted to Slashleaks, claiming to be some version of the Galaxy Note 8.
The photo was shared without any other product specs or context, casting some doubt on its legitimacy.
Let’s just come right out and say it: This doesn’t look much different than the S8.
The S Pen lined up next to the phone gives it some Note vibes, sure, but without getting a good look at the bottom of the device to check if there’s a slot for the Pen, there’s no way to know if it’s actually a Note prototype, or just an S8+ posing with the Note’s key peripheral.
The phone pictured does appear to conform to what’s described in earlier leaked specs, though—but again, we can’t see much from just this front-facing pic. And about those predictions? They call for a Note 8 with a 6.4-inch Super AMOLED display, making it just a bit bigger than the 6.2-inch S8+, along with a Snapdragon 835 or Exynos 9000-series processor, 6GB of RAM, and up to 256GB of built-in storage.
We have no way of knowing how legit this image is until the Note 8 is revealed, which we’re expecting should be before the end of 2017. This pic might not be the real deal—but it’s only the first. There’s sure to be more where this one came from as Samsung rises up from the ashes of the Note 7.
WATCH: Samsung’s gonna delay the Galaxy S8 again, report says
April 8, 2017 / Comments Off on This might be the first look at Samsung’s follow-up to the exploding Galaxy Note 7
Imagine if Noah had built his arc without checking for termites. All that wood, freshly cut and slotted into place for this big beautiful boat, suddenly full of holes and soaked to the core.
Now imagine this boat is the White House press office. Just a ship full of leaks in the middle of a monsoon, trying to survive with duct tape and beat-up plastic buckets.
News reports make it seem like we know everything that happens in the White House. Press Secretary Sean Spicer says something behind closed doors, and an article appears on the internet maybe an hour or a day later. Last week, according to multiplereports, he gathered his staff and told them to pile their phones on a table so others could comb through them in an attempt to figure out who was leaking to the press. He drilled in the importance of not leaking this meeting to any outlet, and of course we knows this because it leaked immediately. It’s like watching a man new to arcades slowly become overwhelmed by whack-a-mole.
According to the leaks, Spicer and his people were snooping for apps like Confide, an encrypted texting app that erases messages from your screen as soon as you read them and is reportedly used by White House staff (though the app isn’t quite as secure as its creators would like you to believe).
Maybe Spicer will figure out how to plug his office’s holes, but the Vegas odds don’t look too good. This dude didn’t even bother to wipe his phone number and address from his WHOIS data before he became press secretary, and we’re pretty sure he’s tweeted some kind of password before, maybe more than once.