SiriusXM Punches Up Podcast Push With Lineup Including Exclusive Marvel Shows
SiriusXM is dramatically expanding its podcast content offerings, launching a new destination for original, exclusive and popular podcasts including original shows from Disney’s Marvel Entertainment. The augmented lineup features new podcast shows from SiriusXM hosts including Jeff Lewis and Christopher “Mad Dog” Russo, podcasts from Fox News, and a curated selection of popular podcasts from […] …
SiriusXM is dramatically expanding its podcast content offerings, launching a new destination for original, exclusive and popular podcasts including original shows from Disney’s Marvel Entertainment.
The augmented lineup features new podcast shows from SiriusXM hosts including Jeff Lewis and Christopher “Mad Dog” Russo, podcasts from Fox News, and a curated selection of popular podcasts from creators and partners including Stitcher (recently acquired by SiriusXM), NBC News, CNN, NPR, ViacomCBS, the Wall Street Journal, HBO, ESPN, Sports Illustrated, Joel Osteen Ministries, Wondery, Barstool Sports, Westwood One, Crooked Media, TNT, WNYC Studios, Slate, PodcastOne, TED, Cadence13, Pineapple Street Studios, PRX and Pushkin Industries.
In addition, Kevin Hart’s Laugh Out Loud Radio will roll out a slate of new radio shows and podcasts on SiriusXM beginning in 2021, including Hart’s first-ever solo-hosted podcast.
“As the popularity of podcasts continues to expand, we’re thrilled to offer our subscribers an amazing selection of podcast entertainment and expand on our unmatched variety of compelling, must-hear programming,” Scott Greenstein, SiriusXM’s president and chief content officer, said in a statement.
Exclusive Marvel podcasts for SiriusXM — produced under a multiyear deal signed last year — will include “Marvel’s Wastelanders” (pictured above), a new multipart original scripted series coming in 2021 featuring Marvel heroes including Old Man Star-Lord, Grey Widow, Old Man Hawkeye and Old Man Wolverine.
Other Marvel exclusives on SiriusXM are “Marvel/Method,” a weekly podcast where Method Man interviews celebrity guests including Killer Mike DMC, and Jemele Hill about life and all things fandom, Marvel comics, music and more (premiering Nov. 19); and “Marvel’s Declassified,” a nonfiction narrative podcast about the history of Marvel Comics (scheduled to premiere Dec. 8).
SiriusXM subscribers also will be the first to have access to other Marvel podcasts, including the exclusive Spanish-language version of “Marvel’s Wolverine: The Long Night” (scheduled to premiere in December); “This Week in Marvel,” in which Marvel hosts Ryan “Agent M” Penagos, Lorraine Cink, and James Monroe Iglehart share inside access to the latest Marvel comics, TV, movies, games and toys; “Women of Marvel,” showcasing how people of all backgrounds are making an impact on Marvel stories; and “Marvel’s Pull List,” a weekly show with hosts Ryan “Agent M” Penagos and Tucker Markus providing exclusive previews of new Marvel comics.
“Just as Marvel’s stories began in the comics and grew into the rich universe we know today, we see audio storytelling as just the beginning of unlimited possibilities for our brand,” Marvel Entertainment president Dan Buckley said in announcing the pact. “Our fans are consuming content more than ever, and now wherever they are, they can explore the Marvel Universe through brand-new and ongoing podcasts that bring Marvel together with the world and people around us, along with exciting new scripted content coming on SiriusXM’s platform next year.”
SiriusXM subscribers who have streaming access can listen to the podcasts via the SiriusXM mobile app and online. The launch of SiriusXM’s new podcast destination comes as the company kicks off its latest “Listen Free” campaign letting non-subscribers in North America sample SiriusXM’s audio entertainment with no credit card required — including more than 300 channels and hundreds of podcasts — from Nov. 19-Dec. 1, 2020.
And SiriusXM’s broad podcast launch follows its acquisitions of podcast platforms Simplecast and Stitcher, building on its deal for Pandora (which had previously bought audio ad-tech startup AdsWizz).
Podcasts now available to SiriusXM subscribers with streaming access include:
- “Huuuge Fan”: Host LaChina Robinson welcomes celebs like Tracy Morgan, Darius Rucker, Ashley Judd and Dierks Bentley to share their journeys about being rabid sports fans.
- “Jeff Lewis Has Issues”: The former “Flipping Out” star and SiriusXM host dives into his personal issues, from relationships to parenting and beyond, with an array of friends and experts.
- “Digging Up the Past With Christopher Russo”: SiriusXM’s Christopher “Mad Dog” Russo takes a historical deep dive into the events and innovations that have shaped the sports landscape, starting with a history of Thanksgiving Day NFL games featuring Bill Belichick, Earl Campbell, Bill Parcells, Gil Brandt and others.
- “Podversaries”: A new series that tells the stories behind some of the greatest rivalries in sports history with the people who witnessed them firsthand, including:
- Tom Brady vs. Peyton Manning – Hear from the two NFL icons themselves and those who played with and against them.
- Yankees vs. Red Sox – Rapper-producer Chuck D looks at the history between two of baseball’s greatest adversaries.
- Michigan vs. Ohio State – Featuring memories from those who played in “The Game,” including Desmond Howard, whose famous Heisman pose remains an enduring image from the college football rivalry.
- Ric Flair vs. Dusty Rhodes – Chronicles the defining rivalry between two of the greatest personalities in professional wrestling history
- Dale Earnhardt vs. Jeff Gordon – A closeup of the rivals who dominated two different eras of NASCAR.
- “I Want My 80s Podcast”: In this weekly series, original MTV VJs Mark Goodman, Nina Blackwood, and Alan Hunter flash back to discuss defining moments of the ’80s.
- “Vital Signs”: Doctors and staff at NYU Langone Health share moving personal stories from the front lines of the prestigious New York City medical center.
- “Exit 209 With Storme Warren”: Host of SiriusXM’s The Highway traces the humble beginnings of country music’s biggest stars, starting with popular duo Florida Georgia Line.
- “Unboxing the 90s With Jim Shearer”: The former MTV/VH1 VJ hangs out with artists and celebs who defined the ’90s to unbox the decade’s most indelible songs, entertainment and cultural moments.
- “Comic-Con Begins: An Oral History of San Diego Comic-Con”: Six-part documentary series chronicling the rise of the legendary comic convention from its origins in the early 1970s to its impact on modern-day fandom.
- “SiriusXM Comedy Docs”: A collection of SiriusXM’s best new and archival comedy documentaries launching with “Hope on Top: A Mitch Hedberg Oral History,” a new two-part special hosted by journalist Julie Seabaugh featuring commentary from comedians including Doug Stanhope and Dave Attell. Additional documentary podcasts from the SiriusXM Comedy vault will celebrate the careers of Robin Williams, Redd Foxx, Joan Rivers and more.
- “The MeidasTouch Show”: Following their limited run on SiriusXM Progress leading up to the 2020 Election, the three brothers behind MeidasTouch — whose viral videos have taken swipes at President Trump — host a new show discussing progressive policies and knocking down right-wing talking points.
- “Makeup to Breakup”: Host Julia Cunningham and a rotating cast of journalists and insiders trace the wild, sad and triumphant stories of the rise and fall of popular music groups, including the White Stripes, Destiny’s Child and Pink Floyd.
In addition, podcasts on SiriusXM from Fox News Media including “The Five,” “Special Report With Bret Baier,” “The Story with Martha MacCallum,” “Tucker Carlson Tonight,” “Hannity,” “The Ingraham Angle,” and “Fox News @ Night With Shannon Bream.”
Other popular shows now available on SiriusXM include “Pod Save America,” “My Favorite Murder,” “Song Exploder,” “Dr. Death,” “Call Her Daddy” and “Up First,” as well as more than 60 podcasts from Stitcher’s catalog of originals including “Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend,” “Freakonomics Radio,” “Science Rules! With Bill Nye,” “Office Ladies” and “Getting Curious With Jonathan Van Ness.”
Plus, SiriusXM will present highlights from several dozen of SiriusXM shows presented as podcasts featuring hosts including Andy Cohen, Hoda Kotb, Mike Krzyzewski (Duke basketball’s Coach K), Gayle King and Dan Rather.